First, I would just like to say, I’m sorry. I promised on Monday, to post the sewn version of the journal cover on Tuesday, which I didn’t do. Now it’s Friday, and I still haven’t done it. I wanted to wait until I found the little books V made me, and I’m still looking, so that will have to wait for a while. In the mean time, I would like to talk about something a little more recent.

Yesterday morning, the whole house got up at five o’clock. In the morning. I got up blearily, dressed in my new stretchy pants and baggy, boy’s cut cross country shirt (I’m not a cross country runner, but all four of us bought the shirts) and stumbled around the bathroom, washing my face, brushing my teeth, putting on make up, all on auto pilot. After getting dressed, I had about forty minutes to spare, which was nice because I still had to pin on my number, and get some hot chocolate. Strangely, that took up the entire forty minutes.

We all got in the car and began talking about the race. I don’t remember much of the conversation, but I distinctly remember being told there would be Jelly Bean stations along the way. I don’t know why I believed it, but I did.

It took us forever to get there. There was a huge traffic jam. The turn lane for the exit we needed was just one lane, and everyone going to the race had to get in it. So we didn’t really move very much. Luckily, we left early, so we got there in time. Once we got there though, we saw some old friends, and met a few people who had been drinking since six o’clock in the morning. It was a pretty interesting experience. There were about fifteen thousand people there. I did not expect that. We wound our way around the crowd, until we saw a sign for the 5K, all the way in the back, to where we couldn’t even see the half marathon runners. We stood around, for a while, every one all jammed in together, talking. Until, the announcer announced the start of the half marathon. When he finally said go, I heard a little boy behind us say, “Why isn’t anyone moving?”. Finally, the group made it’s way to the actual starting line.

All along the track, their were people that came out just to watch. Once we all got moving, and had some room to spread out, we split up. V went with Mom, and I went with Dad. Dad and I began passing people. I started to get pretty into it. It was pretty fun. After a few minutes, Dad stopped whispering “we’re going to pass her” and just pointed his index finger, without moving his arm, as if not wanting anyone but me to see him, and I would nod, and we would pass the person in question. I kind of felt like a F.B.I. agent; alright agent Jacob, gun first, lets move in. Occasionally, a person on the side of the road, would yell out, “Number eight eleven!” That was Dad “You can do it! I got fifty bucks on you!” or something similar to me, dad, someone fast-walking with us. About five or six of them called out to dad and me, “Riverwood!” that was the name of the cross country team who’s shirts we were wearing. I guess you could say we’re honorary members “Better hurry up! The rest of your group is ahead of you!” They were all running it. Or, “We’ve seen a lot of you guys!” or some other remark. It made it interesting. My favorite was the boy holding up a sign that said ‘Happy Thanksgiving! I’m Thankful that I’m not running!” It pretty much made my day. The time went by fairly quickly. Pretty soon, we got to the halfway mark, with the water station. Dad and I were practically the only ones that bothered to put our empty cups into the trashcan. The rest were littered all over the road. People were trampling them for the next few feet or so. It made the biggest racket. It was hilarious.

Near mile three, we had passed most of the slow overweight people, and kids being dragged by their parents, and decided to run. Unfortunately, I’m not a runner. I ran out of steam after half a mile. But at least we only had half a mile left. We power walked the rest of the way, and crossed the finish line at a jog.

It was pretty cool, there were a lot of people ahead of us, but we still got metals. It wasn’t a competitive race.

I survived. I actually think I did pretty well. I was just walking it, and it took me forty three minutes, but hey, I finished. But there were no Jelly Beans.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s